header graphic
Connect with Onondaga County Like Us On Facebook Follow Us On X (Twitter) Watch Us On Youtube

Frequently Asked Questions for Onondaga County Homeowners

Facts about flooding
Combined sewer overflow

Before you dig or drill!
Flow Control: increasing productivity


Q: How do I dispose of certain household waste items such as antifreeze, motor oil, cooking grease, medications and other common household items?

A: Information can be found here on how to go about disposing of these items property.


Don't Flush Wipes

Q: I’ve heard that “flushable” bathroom wipes shouldn’t be flushed down the toilet, is that true?

A: Wipes clog pipes! The only thing that should be flushed down the toilet is toilet paper.


Q: I'm having sewer trouble. Who do I call? When are they available?

A: Call (315) 435-3157, 24 hours a day. More information about sewer problems

can be found here: Sewer Problems


Q: I’m building a new home or remodeling my home and will be making changes to its plumbing system, where can I find information on permits and inspections?

A: Information about permits and inspections can be found here: Plumbing Control


Q: How can I prevent sewer problems?

A: Two major contributors to sewer problems are “flushable” wipes, and household

cooking grease. Please never dispose of grease or wipes in the sewer system. 


Q: What is the best way to prevent yard waste from clogging storm drains?

A: Bagging yard waste for pick up by your local municipality is the best way to keep leaves and grass clippings from clogging storm drains. This helps protect your property and neighbors from flooding. Paper yard waste bags can be found at most hardware and home improvement stores. 


Q: How can I locate buried sewer lines before I start to dig?

A: Call DigSafely NY at 1-800-962-7962 and request a stake-out, WEP is a member of DigSafely NY and responds to over 17,000 calls a year for sewer location requests.


Q: The stream or creek near my house is flooding, who can I call to address the problem?

A: WEP maintains drainage districts in the following areas Harbor Brook and Meadowbrook (in the city of Syracuse), Bloody Brook (in the town of Salina and village of Liverpool), and Bear Trap/Ley Creek (in the towns of Dewitt and Salina, the Village of East Syracuse, and the City of Syracuse). In these areas call Onondaga County Drainage Districts at 315-435-3157, 24 hours a day. For more information please see this page.




To Provide Feedback About the Disability Accessibility of An Onondaga County Department's Website, Click Here to Access the Department's Contact Page

© 2001-  Onondaga County, New York  All Rights Reserved.   |  Ongov.net  |  Privacy Statement | Directions & Parking | Language or Disability Access Assistance