header graphic
Connect with Onondaga County Like Us On Facebook Follow Us On X (Twitter) Watch Us On Youtube


    Like Us On Facebook Our YouTube Channel
    Accredited Health Department
    Onondaga County Health Department is nationally accredited and meetsĀ rigorous public health standards necessary to best serve the needs of our community.



    4170 Route 31, Clay, NY 13041
    Phone: (315) 435-1649




    Asbestos Information for Homeowners

    Where can I find asbestos in my home?

    Asbestos may still be found in many different building materials and products, regardless of their age. Therefore, the only way to definitively know is to have samples of the material in question analyzed. See the information on Sampling and Testing for more information.

    • Roofing and siding shingles
    • Insulation
    • Vermiculite
    • Textured paint and patching compounds
    • Vinyl floor tiles and the backing on vinyl sheet flooring and adhesives.
    • Pipe insulation
    • Furnaces and gaskets

    Visit the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's website to learn how to protect your family and what to do if you have asbestos in your home.

    I have asbestos in my home, who do I contact to remove it?

    You should contact a New York State Department of Labor licensed asbestos abatement contractor.

    Where can I find a list of licensed asbestos abatement contractors?

    The New York State Department of Labor website provides a list of licensed Asbestos Abatement contractors by name and zip code.

    What can I do if I think asbestos was improperly abated in my home?

    What you should do will depend on the kind and amount of asbestos containing material that was on your property, where the material was located in the building and what other work has occurred in the building since the abatement was conducted. More information on what to do can be found in the Building and Home Owners Asbestos Guide.

    What should I do if I have vermiculite attic insulation?

    The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency is gathering more information about vermiculite insulation and other products containing vermiculite. If you suspect vermiculite insulation is in your home, the safest thing is to leave the material alone. If you decide to remove or must otherwise disturb the material due to a renovation project, consult with an experienced asbestos contractor. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has developed information on Current Best Practices for Vermiculite Attic Insulation providing a common sense approach to help you find out what kind of insulation is in your home and decide what to do if you have vermiculite insulation.

    Source: https://www.health.ny.gov/environmental/indoors/asbestos/homeowners.htm



    For more information:







    To Provide Feedback About the Disability Accessibility of An Onondaga County Department's Website, Click Here to Access the Department's Contact Page

    © 2001-  Onondaga County, New York  All Rights Reserved.   |  Ongov.net  |  Privacy Statement | Directions & Parking | Language or Disability Access Assistance