header graphic
Connect with Onondaga County Like Us On Facebook Follow Us On X (Twitter) Watch Us On Youtube

Onondaga County/Syracuse Commission on Human Rights

John H. Mulroy Civic Center
15th Floor East 
421 Montgomery Street
Syracuse, NY 13202
(315) 435-3565

Our office is staffed from
8 am to 4 pm. Mon - Fri.

Tips for Interacting with Police



Information to Collect If Arrested Your Rights

Get the officer's name & badge number

if you can.

Get the plate number of the vehicle.

Get names, addresses and telephone numbers of any witnesses

Write down a brief description of whatever you can remember about the incident

as soon a possible after it is over.

Do not resist arrest.   Don't struggle if an officer tries to put you in handcuffs.

Do not refuse to be frisked.  

Say repeatedly but calmly, "I don't consent to being searched."

Make phone calls that count. (Call family or your lawyer for help or bail money.)

You have the right to remain silent.

You do not have to give permission for a search.

But do not resist a search.

You should not sign any papers.

You have the right to ask for medical attention if needed.


Helpful Tips Important Phone Numbers Additional Numbers

Keep your hands where the officer can see them.  Don't put your hands in your pockets.  Don't make any sudden moves.

Remain calm and polite in speaking to the officer.  Doin't raise your voice or argue.

Even if police are wrong, cooperate.

Give your name and address.

Ask to speak to a lawyer.  If you are under 18, ask to speak to your parents.



You are NOT required to answer any questions about alleged criminal activity.



Police don't have to read you a Miranda Warning unless they are going to question you about criminal activity


Justice Center (Jail) Phone
(315) 435-1717

Jamesville Correctional Facility

(315) 435-5581



Jail Ministry
(315) 424-1877

Syracuse Citizen Review Board
(315) 448-8750

Spanish Action League (La Liga)
(315) 475-6153

Onondaga County/Syracuse Branch of the NAACP





Legal Services of Central N.Y.
(315) 475-3127

Volunteer Lawyers Project
(315) 471-3409

Hiscock Legal Aid Society
(315) 422-8191

Central New York Civil Liberties Union
(315) 471-2821




City Court Clerk

(315) 671-2760


County Court Clerk

(315) 671-1020


To Provide Feedback About the Disability Accessibility of An Onondaga County Department's Website, Click Here to Access the Department's Contact Page

© 2001-  Onondaga County, New York  All Rights Reserved.   |  Ongov.net  |  Privacy Statement | Directions & Parking | Language or Disability Access Assistance